Saturday, June 14, 2008

No iTunes Activation for 3G iPhones

I've been hearing this for the past few days and Dennis Sellers over at Macsimum News is reporting the news that activation for the new 3G iPhone must be done at the AT&T store. This for me is the most disappointing announcement yet regarding this new phone. Having had the pleasure of walking out of the store, phone in hand, and activating it through iTunes in the comfort of my own home I am saddened new users will not have that experience. Instead, they will be subject to the same time consuming, used car feeling experience any other phone purchase engenders. I know nothing of the inner workings of Apple's renegotiated deal that may have made this move necessary, but I am greatly disappointed. Apple and AT&T have eliminated one of the best experiences of the iPhone purchase. Here's a question. Does this mean that the 3G iPhone will not be available for purchase at the Apple Retail stores? Surely not, but how AT&T activation would be done in those locations would be interesting. - Tim Godby


Technorati Tags:
, ,


No comments: