Thursday, November 29, 2007

Inc.com: iPhone is "next major computing device"

Inc.com: iPhone is "next major computing device": "

Filed under: ,

Zach Nelson at Inc.com has seen the future of computing, and it is the iPhone. He writes:'Some people use it to play music. Others marvel at the photo-browsing interface, and some of its users just want to look cool. I don't care about any of those things when I look at the iPhone. What I see is the breakout of the next major enterprise computing platform.'This is basically what I said after my first full day with the iPhone. It's a portable computer that just happens to make phone calls, not a phone that performs a few tricks. Months later, my feelings haven't changed. I use it primarily as a computer (and an iPod) and occasionally as a phone. In fact, when I'm showing it off to people, the phone features (making calls, working with contacts, etc.) are what they're least interested in. Email and the internet are always first.With that in mind, I'll share my ten favorite iPhone-optimized web sites.
  1. meebo. Nice AIM implementation. No frills, just function.
  2. PocketTweets. Until we get Twitterrific for the iPhone, I'll use PocketTweets. It looks nice and works.
  3. Leaflets. A portal for several useful iPhone-optimized pages. I especially like their Newsvine, Flickr and Major League Baseball implementation.
  4. JiWire. Quickly find public Wi-Fi in your neighborhood.
  5. Tomatometer. Find reviews on nearly any movie.
  6. MoviesApp. Somehow, pulling up movie times on an iPhone impresses people more than anything else.
  7. PopTakeout. Browse top headlines from Digg, Newsvine, Delicious, more. Plus, the Chinese takeout box icon is cute.
  8. MyPhoneFootball.com. No frills, just speedy updates on NFL scores and standings.
  9. Fumbleview. Real-time, java-powered play-by-play on your favorite NFL games plus chat. I love it.
  10. Weather Underground humiliates the iPhone weather widget.

(Via The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW).)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: