Monday, March 20, 2006

Quicksilver. Wouldn't Leave Home Without It



Once in a while, I'll put a "plug" in for an application I find indispensible. This time the vote goes to Quicksilver - hands down! Quicksilver is difficult to describe. Strictly speaking it's a launcher (an application designed to make quick work of accessing applications no matter what you're doing or where you are on the Mac) This it does and does brilliantly. But it is so much more than that. For instance: I need to email a TextEdit file to my co-worker and add a quick comment. With Quicksilver I can perform that entire operation in just a few keystrokes! No kidding. Now follow me here. I'm talking about finding the file wherever it happens to be, launching Mail with the file attached and my co-workers address already filled in. You really have to see it/use it to believe it.

So how does this work? Quicksilver lives quietly in the background, observing, learning and cataloging the applications, files, contacts, etc. you tend to use most frequently. After a few days it is nearly clairvoyent. From that time on Quicksilver just seems to "know" what it is you want to do, puts the steps together in logical sequence and waits happiliy to do your bidding.

For all this functionality there must be a great cost, right? Wrong! Quicksilver and all the associated plugins is absolutely free! I know, "If it seems too good to be true it probably isn't". Not so in this case. If you're curious head on over to Blacktree's site, look around, download the latest release and give it a try. Officially, Quicksilver is still in Beta so all the usual precautions apply. I've been using it for months now with absolutley no difficultities.

Do me a favor, please. If you do download Quicksilver and give it a whirl, please let me know what you think. You may post a comment here on the blog or send me an email. Either way I'd love to hear from you.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: